Friday, March 30, 2012

Are you a forgiving person?

Can you believe the first quarter of 2012 is over? Well, this would be a great time to review the goals you set for yourself in 2012. I just did a quick review and realized I needed to change a few things if I plan on accomplishing them by the end of 2012. The eighth action that I want to talk to you about today is one of those actions that is very challenging to do every day because our pride and ego gets in the way. The action is: I will greet every day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive myself and others.

I call this action the attitude of GRATITUDE. Over the years I have struggled with this action. I am a very strong willed individual so forgiving is not one of my strengths. Anyone that knows me well would agree with that statement especially my wife! Through the years I have been more proactive in having a forgiving spirit. I realized during my reflection and prayer time my greatest weakness in this area is that I am not willing to forgive myself and it is the culprit that stands in my way of forgiving others. This bible verse speaks to forgiveness:

Matthew 18: 21-22

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”

I think this answer by Jesus makes it clear that forgiveness is not easy for any of us. It’s not a one-time choice and then we will automatically live in a state of forgiveness. It is a daily choice that we are willing to forgive ourselves and others. Forgiveness may require a lifetime of forgiving, but it is what makes us the person God meant us to be. Being able to forgive makes us a man or woman. Too many people see this as weakness; instead it is a sign of strength if we are able to forgive ourselves and others. The most important forgiveness comes when it is settled in our heart

So how will you go forward in this second quarter of 2012 and use this action to change who you want to be? Remember the eighth action is: I will greet each day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive myself and others.

Holding on to grudges can allow us to ruin days, weeks, months and years. As I take action on having a forgiving spirit it makes me become the person I want to become. Excuse me for cutting this blog short but I need to go forgive my spouse, AGAIN!

1 comment: