Thursday, March 28, 2013

How do we create influence in our lives?

As we transition through the SAGE Leadership model our next field of study is Influence.  Influence is an action!  Influence is created by the daily actions we show and do in our everyday life.  Let’s talk about ways in which we can create an influence on others.  
 
Have you ever noticed how easily people with a positive attitude can influence you?  Very quickly you realize the people who are optimistic or pessimistic, whether their cup is half full or half empty.  Influence is not power, it is more a sharing of wisdom or knowledge.  The SAGE Leadership model is about recognizing the wisdom within ourselves.  As we grow to be a leader it is by our actions and not necessarily by our words that we develop Influence.  It is not having power over others but rather having discipline over our thoughts, words and actions. 
 
Three of my “Ten Daily Actions to Live By” are directly associated with Influence, the first is:
 
“I choose to have a great attitude.  I am a happy person
and I will have a positive attitude toward others.”
 
I designed this Action to create a discipline of self; enabling you to influence others and share yourself within the community of people you impact daily.  My second Action states: 
 
“I know where I want my life to go. 
I have chosen my path to follow daily.”
 
True leaders lead themselves first before they ever try to influence others.  Do you have a plan for your life?  Have you created goals? Have you created a discipline to follow the path you have chosen?  I authored this quote and it has helped me;
 
“Goals are like having your headlights on,
because you know where you are going”
 
My last Daily Action impacted by Influence is choice; how we choose to live our life with others: 
 
“I will greet every day with a forgiving spirit. 
I will forgive myself and others.”
 
As we are able to forgive ourselves and others our influence grows and the people we impact daily expands.  Why is it so hard to forgive?  The main reason is pride, it gets in our way.  Whether we recognize our pride or not, others see it and it lessens our influence.  When we forgive openly we begin to create a deeper relationship with our self and others.
 
As we grow stronger in our faith we influence our self, enabling us to be stronger in all of our relationships.  Why?  Because, when God is our center, we develop greater clarity or understanding of self.  He then helps us visualize ways in which we need to grow in our relationships with others.
 
The first action we must take is to Influence our own life and then our impact will multiply, infinitely influencing others.
 
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment